Online Strategy Guide for Facebooks browser game Battle Pirates by Kixeye

Strategy Advice, Gameplay Tips, Base Designs, Online Fleet Planner Shipyard

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 am 
Master Sailor
Master Sailor

Please, help me out here. I need to use my base defense fleet better.

What is your overall strategy for your base fleets?
    Keep them stationary or moving?
    Where do you want them to intercept attackers?
    How to protect against prep fleets?
    Besides Goliath and the new defense hull (name evades me), what other ships do you use?
    What weapons are on them?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

Well base defense fleet never really been a priority for me until recently...
See I won the Guardian last event and Toilet the event before...

I ve been using my base attack MCX and DNX mixed for the last year and it did good...

Lately.. since treshers, I built a hurricane with The slow speed thing...

And I did put a BC to counter Spectres...

(somehow though The hurricain does stop spectres so BC is just a filler)

My current work in progress is a 2X heavy guardian + 1x Hurricain + 1x Light Toilet ballistic (2 if it fits)

Now I don`t like moving the fleets personally... but sometimes to build a key positionning, you might want to add a really short patrol area...

But what you have to keep in mind is that you don`t want the fleet to be too easy to to prep ...

And you want to create a choke point where you can kill the enemy quickly if he stays immobile too long..
And in the off chances that he freaks out and charge right into the cerb he should have killed from a distance

In 2015 I'll still be a pirate, but not in BP
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

Opsman wrote:
Please, help me out here. I need to use my base defense fleet better.

What is your overall strategy for your base fleets?
    Keep them stationary or moving?
    Where do you want them to intercept attackers?
    How to protect against prep fleets?
    Besides Goliath and the new defense hull (name evades me), what other ships do you use?
    What weapons are on them?

As for my overall strategy I just want to time the attacker out. Since all this new tech, bases are now easier to get into and therefore timing out the attack is the new goal....for me anyways.

To either move them or not is up to you. Generally, most people do not move them because they are set up in a way to help the turrets out with offensive/defensive weapons. But sometimes you will find a player who lets one move around just to draw fire away from the turrets.

I personally use two ships to intercept but that's about to change. After watching replays a few times I've noticed a gap in my defenses and its allowing those ships to be picked off. However, they are allowed to travel the channel at this moment.

To protect against any prep fleets is very hard. Each player uses different styles of preps and therefore its really hard to protect yourself from one without lacking defenses in the other. A good mix of defensive turrets will balance out the issue but remember, every base is crack-able and your job is it harder for the attacker, make him/her make you hit 25% on the first run or time them out on the next one.

I'm going to combine my answer with regards to you last two questions. As far as ships that I use, I use Floating Fortress's and Juggernauts. Both ships are mixed with offensive and defensive weapons. I'm not going to tell you what specific types of weapons, specials and armor but its a 60/40 mix.

Good luck in deciding what you want to do. Feel free to ask as many question as you like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

The right answer largely depends on your base layout and of course what hulls you have available to you but I can give some general advice.

Best ships to use;
In my opinion the Guardian and Goliath are the best hulls available for base defence as your main defenders, in the case of Goliaths they are loaded with armour and the bonus range will have thuds outrange all weapons with the exception of assault missiles and SFB3 (the assaults only just outrange) and with 7 armour slots you can get a reasonable amount of resistence with the right selection of drac armours. If you dont have goliaths or guardians dont despair, pretty much any ship will be of some benefit to you, obviously high resistence, high fire power and high armour are going to be a big help as is range so even a HH hull will help you if you dont have something better.

Prepping out guards
One of the biggest problems I find with base defenders is when they are easily prepped out, to give one example, a base I hit yesterday had 4 nicely built, heavily armoured and high resistance goliaths and 1 interdictor, enough to make any base tough, especially if you are online controlling your base guard. The problem was that his guard was easily killed off. 2 of his goliaths were positioned just inside his channel making them very easy to kill with specs, even when he was online and running his ships back into his base to try and keep them clear, it took a few goes but both were killed easily with no damage taken on the specs, after this his neighbours began to try and protect him by going into his base (not sure why a 59 that hits level 40s needs to be protected so heavily but thats another subject), regardless of their attempts I went back in after peeking a few of his neighbours and by this stage he was not online controlling his fleets and the next problem with his guard became apparent and then exploited, his remaining dictor and 2 toilets were set to roam and kindly came out to greet me, I simply waited at the entrance for the last minute and went in to kill first the indictor then the next toilet.

By this stage with my hits and the hits of his neighbours protecting him he bubbled and I had one of his neighbouring 65s killing his 3 ship seige B fleet in my channel so I postphoned the attack until I get home tonight but it highlights the importance of ship placement, and the movement setting for your guards, the actual ships he used were great as guards but they dont work dead. I should mention also that given the chance to attack one more time I would have killed the remaining goliath leaving him with no guard in a poorly designed base.

So, how to protect guards;
First of all, you need to keep them safe from specs, often easier said than done but if you are unsure have somebody with specs check them out, keep guards away from your entrance and use a sub arb to surface any attackers subs before they can get there, remember your sub arb also needs to be protected and the right sub can get within hitting range of a sub arb without being detected or surfaced so positioning is very important.

Base design basics
Use a long channel with a lot of turns so the specs cant reach your defending ships, Use missiles or depth charges on at least 1 of your guards and make sure that guard is in range of where your sub arb will detect and or surface their specs. Put your guards behind walls so the subs cant hit them without going around.

Sniping
Once you are safe from specs you need to protect from sniping, of the goliaths I spoke of above, at least one of them was seige cannon, now seige cannons are great but they have short range and if not positioned correctly can be easily sniped out, his could have been taken out easily without being under fire with a simple SFB3 cut wolf and 2 others at the front as far as I could tell would have been an easy kill as well. To prevent this you should make sure your guards are either very long range, out of range of the longest range weapons or positioned so that any attacker who hits them will be under fire to do so, preferrably keep them out of range.

Remember, if your guard can be easily killed its going to hurt you more than the actual base hit, going back to the base last night even without killing the final goliath or flattening the now much weakened base I would have inflicted somewhere between 10 and 12 hours of repair time for the loss of my corvette flagship.

Weapon choice
Once you have established that your guard cant be taken out with specs or sniping you can then look more at what you use, there are a few things here that will influence your decisions, if you use victory mortar you could supplement them by using a guard that has mortar making sure their fire will be concentrated on the same area as your vic morts, if you do have a heavy mortar base your attacker will want to try to run through as fast as he can which is where a relatively low range high damage defender could be used, something like a rocket, ripper or seige cannon ship to make them stop under your mort fire or run into your high damage ship.

Movement of guards;
The next thing to consider is movement, in almost all cases it is best to set your guard to stay put but there are some exceptions, the general rule is, "do not allow your defender enough movement so they can get into range of specs or snipers", have somebody go into your base and sit outside and see where your guard goes, if any ships gets into range of a sniper you need to change your movement setting. in some cases though it is best to allow them to move but again, be careful about where you let them go. While on this subject, due to the introduction of some great new mortar weapons you need to avoid allowing your ships to stack up in base.

Counter measure ship;
Again, depending on your set up a countermeasure ship could be a useful addition, i know my base could benefit from one, the best ship I have seen for this would be the triton positioned behind my other guards so it stays just out of range and add countermeasure to increase its effectivenss and range. In my base being right of of the way it would not need as much armour, by the time it could be reached it would be too late but it will cop some splash so i would need to make sure the explosive defence is high on it but that would not be the same for all countermeasure ships.

Dont ever use;
I know a lot of people are going to tell you about the benefit and joys of using drones as base guards, please dont do it, they are way too easy to prep out, like the advice suggests above the drones move towards the attacker and get into their range making them easy to kill, yes, in some cases they will work and in some cases i have seen them do a good job but as soon as you get an attacker who has a slight amount of knowledge he will simply pick them off leaving you guardless and with a huge repair bill. Normally when i hit bases i hit with a reason, usually revenge or a warning to leave my neighbours alone and I plan to cause them maximum disruption to them, for every drone i kill I am adding another 26 minutes to their repair bill and when you consider a hurricane can hold up to 50 drones it can really add up, I saw a base recently with 3 hurricanes, each holding 50 drones, if my maths is correct that is 65 hours of repair time just in the drones and they are an easy kill with the right fleet causing minimal damage.

Armour,
You need your guards to be well armoured to hold up to an attackers fleet, the best armour for this is drac armour providing resistence to your fleet, use low level drac armour if you need to for weight making sure to make the most of your bonuses

As I said from the start, your base layout will have a huge impact on the type of guard you should use but the best advice is to test your design under a few different circumstances and see how it works

2 more subjects that I dont have time for now; arbs and controlling your base guard ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

Following on from my previous post;

Arbs as guards
Arbs and hurricanes can be very useful in base defence, they have the same basic uses, just the hurricane is a bit stronger and the preference over arbs wherever possible with it’s extra weapon slot. Like all other decisions on your base defence it will depend on teh rest of your base defences as to which arbs could be useful and where they should go.

Sub arb (yellow field)
The most common arb for base defending is the sub arb or subsonic cavitator which has a sub surfacing range that will force any subs to the surface that come into its range of effect, these are great at keeping subs from getting in but it is very difficult to place them due to the short range of effect. Sub arbs need to be placed near a corner because when placed on the other side of a wall in a channel they don’t quite reach far enough allowing subs to sneak past. When combined with sonar3 you will get an increased detection range that will pick up most subs but still a spectre with cat 3 plus 3 detection plates will still be able to get close enough to kill it without being detected, the reason it needs to go near a corner. The introduction of the new drac armour with an increased detection range may make the difference for detection but it would still be somewhat vulnerable if poorly positioned.
The eng disruptor (Green field)
These are a great module that will slow down all ships that get within its range of effect, their range is slightly better than the sub arb so they can be placed on the other side of your channel wall to slow down any blitz attack as the ships go through your channel including slowing down any subs within its range wether detected or not. When used in combination with a long channel they will help to keep subs out and if you focus your longer range weapons such as halos, mortar or to a lesser extent arcs on the area of effect you will greatly increase the damage taken by the attacker as they fail to outrun your turrets. Because the attacking fleet has been slowed it will increase the amount of time your longer range weapons are firing and increase the amount of damage your attacker takes as they run through the field of effect. Be mindful that some weapons will outrange the disruptors field of effect such as assault missile and mortar so as far as possible protect it with armour and anti missile/ mortar.
The microwave dampener (Purple field)
The microwave dampener will reduce the amount of damage taken to all ships and buildings within its range of effect, if carefully positioned you can give defensive bonuses to your entire base. Take care to keep them back as far as possible to avoid splash damage. In my base I have 2 guards side by side on the other side of the channel wall, a microwave arb positioned behind them would not only make my front line defenders harder to kill but they will also help my turrets and other buildings last longer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 am 
Master Sailor
Master Sailor

I'm level 51 and since level 50, I have usually been attacked within 2 days from bubble being gone. I repel 1 in 4 attackers, but an MCX or DNX fleet seems to walk through my base so I needed to call in the experts.

I'm using 2 HH-B (1 cutlass4, 1 D33X), 1 FF (maelstrom4), 2 arbs w/blitz drone 1 for now. I didn't use the drones for a while, but just added them again for an irritation to the mostly DNX mortar fleets that tend to attack me (since they cannot defend well against them). Several high level attacker's scouts have visited, but they haven't attacked since then. In 2 days, another HH-B with D-73 assault mortars will be ready.

I haven't ever been prep'ed by a spec fleet so that will need to be a consideration. Need to make a BC hull for that. I'll upgrade my tac lab for some of the better modules for defense.

As far as base turrets, I have mostly cerb4, flak4, bombard4 and am converting sent4 to VM4 as soon as my intel lab 10 is done (yawn). I have a good base layout (as attested by many attackers), just need to beef up my fleet and up the base turrets some. The part I was weakest on is where to place the fleets and whether they should roam or not. I have a better idea now. Thank you Darwin, Wildcat and Greenie. :)

I'll replace the drones and FF with new HH-B and an arb with better defense module. Should I replace cutlass4 on HH-B with D-73 or D-53?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

I need to rush so a quick rushed reply

Drones dont irritate me, I love killing them knowing I am causing 26 minutes repair time for each one, in most cases I will take the time to make sure i have killed each and every one of them.

I like range so i would go for assault missiles over cutlass but i probably wouldn't refit to do it

BCs are not as good as many people say at stopping specs, trust me, I can kill pretty much any ship that I can reach without it spotting me including BCs, I dont care how much sonar your put on it, some spec builds are the only exception but you would be unlikely to use those builds as base defenders. Build a sub arb or eng disruptor and dont worry about the BC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:03 am 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

Well It's hard to speculate on guard fleet without actually looking at the design...

But I know I had a lot of trouble against base in wich there was 2 arbitres (hurricane)
Carrying Engine distrupter 2 .. with max armor and defense...

They take very long to kill, and you can't really attempt running in their range... you ll get slowed down too much..

Prevents attacks from blitz and may hold the creepers in the kill zone longer that they should have..

In 2015 I'll still be a pirate, but not in BP
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 am 
Master Sailor
Master Sailor

Okay, I'm convinced that I will need a engine disrupter module on an arb (or 2). I think my tac lab is only level 1 though. It will take a while to rectify that. :oops:

I love this game because it is so complex and there is no perfect hull or weapon or base, since it depends on your personal playing style so much. I hate this game because everyone's playing style is so different and I can't counter everyone's playing style. It's like a game of chess...slow and methodical.