Online Strategy Guide for Facebooks browser game Battle Pirates by Kixeye

Strategy Advice, Gameplay Tips, Base Designs, Online Fleet Planner Shipyard

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

A friend turned me on to the Instant Repair (individually) Sea Wolf for the weekly Events (aka Missions). His build was 5x Thud4, Speed System3, Hardened Barrels2, Guidance System3. Armor was Steel2 in order to stay within the 5 minute repair window during the monthly Raids. And I found these indispensable once I built them. The only change I am making on mine is going to Cannon System2 for an improvement in both rate and range of fire. When I get Cannon System3 researched, I'll upgrade to that.

I then "detuned" my Cutlass equipped Sea Wolf fleet to similar specifications, taking my armor down to Steel2. I found the fleet to be extremely useful as I moved up the Tiers. Where the Thud based Sea Wolves started dying while doing little or no damage to the Drac fleets, the Cutlass based fleet had the range to inflict some damage before falling. They are: 5x Cut3, Speed Sys2, SFB3, Laser3, Steel2.

What I want to do is inflict more damage by lasting longer, but without giving up the Instant Repair aspect. So I cannot improve survivability by increasing the armor. Two approaches occur to me:

1) Swap my Speed System2 for Strike System2 (or 3 if I ever get it), then take the open special slot due to removing SFB3 and replace it with RA3 or GS3. The down side is I give up a fair amount of distance with Strike System2 compared to SFB3.

2) An alternative approach, using Drac missiles, ideally 2x D53 Assault Missiles, 3x D51-A Strike Missiles, Strike System2 (again SS3 if I ever get it), GS3, RA3 - Giving up distance again, but this time I get the benefit of both deterring hits with the Guidance Scrambler and diminishing the impact of those that do get through courtesy of the RA3 upgrade. If I don't find all the pieces for the D53 Assault series, I'd just fill all the weapon slots with the D51-A which has pretty good accuracy on its own, 90% and improved firing rate compared to the Forsaken Cutlass missiles.

Any thoughts on "improved" Sea Wolf fleets for Raids and Missions?

Level 71 - World Alpha

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

I don't use Sea Wolfs for missions and rarely for raids, so I don't know what setup to use. However, the setups you have listed are in use now with really good results. I think with what ever set up you do use, you will be happy with.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
Cannon Loader
Cannon Loader

I think you've covered all of the best options. It just comes down to personal preference, and what tech you have available to you. I have a couple of IR fleets that I've used in the past.

My SW missile fleet is set up for kiting, and relies on distance and speed for protection.
Weapons: Cut-3 (x5)
Specials: Eng-3, Las-3, SFB-3
Armor: Steel I

My SW ballistic fleet is set up for closer combat, and relies on evade for protection.
Weapons: Thud-4 (x5)
Specials: GS-3, Speed Sys-3, Cannon Sys-3
Armor: Steel I

Instant repair ships have their place, but if you fully repair them each time, you'll end up going through a lot of res. If your fleets are getting taken out too quickly, try repairing them just enough to where the game will allow you to attack with them again (my SW's take about 5-7 seconds each). If your fully repaired fleets are only able to get off one or two shots before they get killed, then there really isn't much difference in using a partially repaired one.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:40 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

Your builds sound good, though I'm surprised I don't see RA3 show up in builds for the events. Something like Strike System 3, so you get speed and distance, then the GS3 and RA3 to enhance lifespan.

I do go through too much res, I'm just hitting speed up and heading back in. But as soon as I see the Thuds being ineffective, I switch to the Cutlass fleet. However when I tried the 37 both fleets died almost immediately. And for some reason, I always showed up in the middle of the Drac fleet, never off to one side where I'd have a chance to form up or stack ships and pick a target.

I'll keep your advice in mind, I do appreciate it!

Level 71 - World Alpha

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 am 
Cannon Loader
Cannon Loader

Using GS3, RA3, and Strike System 3 will definitely give you better protection, but that has less significance when you get into the higher levels of the raid. Even the best protected SW's fall quickly when they get run down by an MCX. If you have a set up that can help you avoid ships that match or outrange you, then at least you have a chance to take out the ones that don't.

Unfortunately, the Sea Wolf has limited use when you get into the higher tiers. SW ballistic fleets are often killed before they even get into range. No matter what set up you use, after tier 2, you'll probably spend more time repairing them, then you will be fighting with them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:41 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

I kind of recall mentioning the joys of using IR wolves somewhere here ;)

As mentiuoned it comes down to personal preference in a lot of cases, my wolves were built before the introduction of strike system, cannon system or speed system and I have better things to work on now.

With the above said I still use my wolves now for a variety of reasons.

Thud wolf fleet;
5 thud 4s
eng3, AL3 and HB3
armour to give me under 5 minute repair times

This fleet is great for removing a single sonar pod from the 40, 45, 49 and 50 fleets, removing a pod will provide more space to move, especiallyt if you are using subs.
it is also good for removing any rocket or ballistic ships by driving alongside them keeping as much distance as possible, yes, even higher levels. it will outrange any siege or rocket ship and has similiar range to torps. Missile fleets can be a problem for it but if you charge the missile ship with it you can usually give them a few good dents before they die

Cut 3 fleet (shipyard 2 needed)
5 cut 3s
eng 3
laser 3
SFB 3
armour to give me under 5 minute repair times
Good for killing any ship other than missile ships, especially the indictors that usually have torps and ballistics, the dics with missiles can be a problem though, same principle, keep as much distance as possible, run away from them keeping them just in range.

Either fleet will auto a 25 OP during weekly missions with no single ship taking more than insta repair damage in 95% of runs, a few of these fleets running about on auto can rack up points quickly and during the weekly mission they will actually gain you res, the only down side is that you will level up quite quickly using them.

As mentioned, during raids you will find then chewing through your resources quickly, if you have an auto salve fleet be sure to pull it out and keep it moving during raids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 am 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

While I'm still stuck on doing Level 31 Drac Outposts during the weekly missions, I made a couple of changes to my IR Sea Wolves. First, with my Shipyard at Level 2 now, I upgraded all my Cutlasses to Cut3 instead of a Cut3/Cut2 mixture. Second, I took one ship, swapped out the Cut2 for Phalanx 2 anti-missiles.

The Phalanx are on my flag ship, and I use them to deal with the Drac ships. My fleet still takes a little damage, but as I got better at it, it was well under the 5 minute instant repair window. I let them time out and then come in with a high evade fleet to do the hubs. This also lets me get away with more resources, since both fleets will fill up. When it goes really, really well, I not only take out the Drac fleet but one of the outer structures as well.

My Flag Ship Sea Wolf:

2x Phalanx 2 Anti-mortars
3x Cutlass 3
1x SpeedSys2
1x Laser3
1x SFB3
1x Steel 2 armor

I plan to change out the Laser 3 for either RA3 or D5-X armor specials. I am guessing that since the Flag Ship takes the majority of damage, even if things go awry, it won't be so bad.

I've been thinking about another special purpose Sea Wolf to go add when I am out hunting blueprints and/or resource. It would have to Hailstorm B's in place of the Phalanx. I've been getting disconnects at the beginning of a battle about every 10 or 15 battles. By the time I reconnect my ships have either taken serious damage or are destroyed. A couple of Hailstorms might make the difference between going home for repairs or just having a bit of red showing.

Darwin - thank you for the builds. They look very similar to what I have been doing. I am so looking forward to a fleet that can auto Drac fleets up to Level 40. I have been hunting blueprints during the so-called "drop rate increase". I've gotten a few pieces but not a single one for the Assault Missiles. Argh!

Level 71 - World Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:55 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

I didn't get a single print myself over the weekend :evil:

Could be because I have them all ;)

I finished up my print hunting shortly after I had my Goliath auto 40 killing fleet out on the seas, now I dont need prints but my auto 51 killing fleet is great at topping up my weekly alliance point quota and of course it makes it easy to fill my warehouse as well if I need res.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:09 pm 
Bpoutpost Moderator
Bpoutpost Moderator

I chained myself to my chair last night and finally got all the pieces to one of the Assault Missiles. Effen-tastic! Of course, my shipyard is jammed at the moment. Doing an HHa for base defense. Then I will have to decide between doing a fleet of Battlecruisers or upgrading my Salvage fleet with the new missiles. Choices ... choices ... choices. I'm actually very happy to be presented with the dilemma!

I picked up a bit of this and that along the way, got started on Siege cannons and, happily, also finally got the Drac Shock mortar D71-L with its longer range than the D71-N that I've been using. Since they are primarily to help overwhelm the attacker's anti-mortars so my VM4's and D73-C's (other ships), I will get to refit those as a back-up fleet for my base defense.

Overall, a pretty good weekend. I have some useful blueprints and will enjoy adding them to current and new hulls down the road.

Level 71 - World Alpha